Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Nemo the Duck test page

When I write the Duck Comics (starrin' nemo) i think a lot in advance about pages in later sequences in the story i don't quite have figured out yet. For example, there is an Arabian Nights section starring fan favorite The Slug King that I do iterations of from time to time. I've been working on character building pages for past the event coming up in the next few pages for a while....most of that is inked and awaiting painting but a lot of the pages i have are third drafts, remixes of jokes and visual ideas I've been developing, but that are either not at their best or no longer fit into the ebb and flow of a narrative. If you can make an idea better there is no reason not to do so, I say!

For example, here's the second page I painted when I got some new paints a month or so ago...it's a little sloppy and the scene depicted is a very far down the line concept so i would likely want to redo it by then anyway.....BUT I had some color ideas about this environment and wanted to try them out, i had a tube if red paint and wanted to try IT out! and the best way to do this is o course in the form of a comic, where every image is required by law to be a new image. I learned a lot doing this page too....it's fun painting comics i think because you can play with outlines as you go in ways you can't with ink! of course inks got its advantages....of course of course


Here's another page I'm not using for various reasons, even though I like it a whole lot. I won't give away too much because a little ways down and features at least ONE secret character, and probably I'm going to reinterpret and build on elements of this later in other pages...the lamppost is certainly a better layout idea than I've had in a while! Anyway the duck is kind of a mangy creep but he too is vulnerable and we'll start to see that come out later more, this page was my first taste at that. This is an early page too! I drew it in june or july and i think it was my first time drawing him in the city. We'll probably get to the part of the story this was supposed to be by this year, but it might be a full year after i'd completed this page!

Anyway, maybe next time I'll talk about space jam. I mean it. We'll talk about this joke that belongs on tiny toon adventures

No comments:

Post a Comment